Thursday, March 8, 2018

A roof over your head: Renedra Tents and GameCraft Afghan Homes


Renedra has put out some plastic tents that I see popping up in a lot of photos. I quite liked them and grabbed some for my cowboy town (I reckon before you even get a stick frame up, you're going to be tenting it). Truly tents have a lot of use in terms of age and setting. I'll probably grab the round ones at some point too.



These buildings were from a rather large order I made in 2012. I think I was inspired by ambush alley and wanted a great table to play on. 6 years later I've painted 3 of them. Booo. I struggled for a long time trying to decide how to 'rough them up' and make them look stoney/plaster covered/whatever.

These two guys were painted with the same craft paint colour and washed with two different ink mixes. I *think* I like the more yellow one, but I suspect it's more because I spread the ink better and ended up with less of that crappy rinse streak effect at the bottom. Variety is important in a table that will host these things, so either way it's a bit of a success.




13 comments:

  1. I have some of the Renedra tents too - they are so useful! They've been camps for all sorts of periods from ancients to early 20th Century. I've been meaning to pick up a few more...

    Mudbrick buildings are also so useful - used all sorts of places for millennia. Again mine have been used for anywhere from the ancient Middle East to far-flung colonies at the arse end of the galaxy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny how many pictures on blogs you start spotting them once you've painted up some yourself.

      Delete
  2. I agree with Tim- tents and mud brick buildings can be used in such a variety of settings they are great pieces to have. I think both colours look good on the buildigns; I like the patchy-ness of the darker wash though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the input. It makes me think maybe I should continue with a mix. It's not like these things get painted up with enormous batches of the same colour from a factory.

      Delete
    2. Exactly. I would even mix it up on the same building as moisture and weather would be different on each face (although I don't imagine you would see much mold or mildew in the desert...).

      Delete
  3. I keep meaning to pick up the Renedra tents and I think you just sold me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent, I'll contact Renedra about my commission =P. Seriously though, to parrot everyone else: they are super useful for many many settings.

      Delete
  4. Nice terrain to add more character to your tables.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's like a step up from scatter terrain, but not building sized yet.....

      Delete
  5. Thanks for posting this. I've been looking for this kind of stuff for a while and have not had a great deal of luck finding things I like. Of the two color schemes you've used on the mud houses, I like the yellow one best. The ochre-y color is a little more lively and cheerful than the other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking for tents or middle east buildings?

      Delete
  6. Nice tents and lovely buildings!

    ReplyDelete