Sunday, November 26, 2017

Undocumented work: Jungles

I was swapping emails with a local gamer and tried to send him pictures of some of the terrain I'd made. Turns out I'd never put pictures on my blog. Even more surprisingly, I didn't have pictures. Ver strange because I could swear I took a photo when I finished the project. Strange stuff.

These are jungle terrain bases on CDs. I got the idea from Too Fat Lardies walkthrough for "charlie don't surf". It took me a coon's age to track down the dark green 'grassy' door mat stuff. Months and an international border before I spotted one in point roberts. Pain in the posterior to stuff in my backpack and motorbike with it. Even more annoying that now I see them regularly in many hardware stores. I must have been ahead of my time.

The original pictures appear to be casualties of the photobucket shakedown that has screwed a lot of blogs recently. Basically you use cake topper palm trees, various aquarium plants, doormat grass, hot glue gun, and (for me) pumice gel media.

I find the palm trees too cartoony and too short. I'd like to make some extra bases with taller palms to make a 'triple canopy' type thing. The cd shinyness also seems to peek through too much. I suspect hitting this stuff with primer before hand might help.....although it might just flake off and leave a worse bond. Though I've noted a bunch of damaged trees that need some fixing (off picture there's probably another 8ish bases) so I probably shouldn't store them at the bottom of a rubber maid container with all the extress build materials on top (dur).


13 comments:

  1. I would be very happy with those David. I think you have a good variety of plants yet the bases look like a coherent whole. And the pumice gel looks like excellent forest floor. Is that the Golden Pumice Gel? If you want to get rid of the "cartoony" look with the palm trees then spraying them with Krylon Camp green spray paint tones them down a bit. Some of my aquarium plants were like that and I just gave them a light spray.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed, golden pumice gel is the stuff. I assume you just spray the foliage? Which would mean I'm probably out of luck for taming this already assembled stuff?

      Delete
    2. There would be some overspray for sure, but it might turn out good. I would just do a light spray anyway.

      Delete
  2. Very nice and the basing looks great. I also like the idea of posting "undocumented work" and projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm. I hadn't really considered it being a thing, but perhaps 'undocumented work' might be a fun theme once in a while.

      Delete
  3. Oh what a very pleasant jungle indeed !! ^^

    I love jungle ambiant and I use too CD bases :

    https://letempledemorikun.blogspot.fr/2016/04/la-vegetation-du-temple-2-la-jungle.html

    I didn't know your blog before and I take some time to visit it... I really like your job... And I decided to register on it and put it on my personnal blogroll :

    https://letempledemorikun.blogspot.fr/

    Please, feel free to visit it ^^

    Serviteur,

    Morikun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fantastic looking stuff on your blog, Mori kun. My stuff looks pretty shabby compared to your work. I may try and follow some of your tutorials as I expand my jungle terrain. I will indeed add your blog to my reading list, although my french is very rusty and limited so I probably won't understand too much. Thankfully there are lots of pictures! =)

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much my Dear Daveb ^^

      I'm very honoured by your kind words ^^

      Thank you too for registering and adding my Temple on your personnal blogroll ^^

      Please, feel free to pick any idea/tips you want from my tutorials : it is absolutely the aim !! I put a foreign translator on my Temple I think it's not as well as we're told about it ^^'

      If you have any question, please, feel free to ask : my english is not very good but I think we could fix the situation anyway ^^

      Serviteur,

      Delete
  4. Atmospheric and wonderful job, congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil. Hopefully I can use it in a game in the not too distant future and take advantage of the atmosphere it lends.

      Delete
  5. Think youve done a smashing job mate. I use cds for a lot of terrain ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you find the basing material lifts off at all, or you end up with shiny spots? Do you paint them before adding basing 'stuff' (putty or whatever)?

      Delete
    2. I always score the crap out of the CD's surface before I add any pumice, etc. It helps give more purchase to whatever ends up on the base.
      So far I've yet to experience any "lifting" of materials and I think it's due to the scoring. Using a course sandpaper might also work out, though I've yet to try that.

      Delete