Sunday, February 16, 2020

Feb update - Batch painting blues

I've hit the phase of painting where not much seems to happen for a long period of time/effort. Suddenly they will be done....one day.

I managed to get the grey primer I was waiting for, sprayed my figs during a break in the weather and felt like my hand was going to get frostbite. I've gotten blue pants, hair, and skin done. Today I banged out the first colour on the horses for the officers within units.


 BEHOLD! It appears like I've done almost nothing!

I decided to break up the monotony a bit by jumping in on "Fembruary Challenge" by leadballoony. The idea is to paint up a/some female models with a look towards how they are represented in the hobby. I shall post in the future, but *spoiler alert* it's pretty pneumatic/trashy/non physiological. You can see (barely) a preview in the lower right corner.







February has seen a lot (too many) irons in the fire. I finished a 'kitchen helper' so my daughter can "help" (notice the quotes) in the kitchen with baking and washing dishes. It's a pretty clever design one of the dads in the neighbourhood banged up. Stain/finish is always a pain with wood working and took the most time.










 
I've also needed to clear out some space in the cave, so finally got around to finishing the refresh on a solar wax melter I was given (it was decades old and needed some TLC with some oiling of the wood, and replacement of the disintegrating black plastic inside.





I decided to go for a metal liner, the better for which to never have to maintain (and easy to clean/scrape). A roll of brown roof flashing was pretty cheap. Lacking a proper tool for bending sheet metal this was a huge PITA. I also ended up making a few trial folds with plan paper to figure out the best plan of attack. *SLURP* there goes some hobby time.








4 comments:

  1. That's a proper amount of primed figures DaveB. What is the solar wax melter for (or, more precisely, why do you need melted wax)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I can tell you patch paint as well =P

      I have/had bee hives (they died out this winter after a few successful years). You end up with a bunch of excess wax comb and needs to be melted down to do anything useful with it (it's usually a bit grungy after a season or two).

      Delete
  2. Ah, yeah. My dad had bees. I don't remember him melting wax though. Maybe he should have; he might have got more honey and kept them from swarming...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man. Sometimes it feels like nothing will stop them from swarming.

      Delete