Tuesday, December 14, 2021

Romanian Tacam R2 Tank Destroyer - 28mm 3d print

 I'm recently been chipping away at a variety of figs and this one is close enough for photos! 

 

I have been possessed to paint up a 28mm Romanian WW2 force. It seems like a perennial scale/period that comes back again and again (with different rules. Many years ago I read a book: '3 axis, 4th ally' which was an interesting look at the Romanians. Conveniently, for wargaming, they swapped sides late in the war and started attacking the Hungarians (who they really didn't like) and helped push on Germany. This means I have a bigger scope of opponents I can fight 'historically'. 

 

The Romanians were pretty reliant on the Germans for good gear which meant they were equipped after the core German forces. As a result they were often hurting for weapons that would be effective against Russian tanks. The TACAM R2 was the second domestically developed self propelled tank destroyer that used stocks of captured materials (a russian anti tank gun specifically). 

It took a while, but I finally managed to track down an .stl file so I could 3d print this tank (it's a bit obscure obviously). The original scale is for 15mm/1:100 so the rivets are pretty chunky. I'm pretty happy with how it came out. This is the first painted thing I've printed and it went fairly well. Curiously the ink I used didn't seem to want to spread properly so it was a bit splotchy but the finally product it's hard to spot. 


 

The crew are, unfortunately, designed for a different model so they don't fit (Great escape miniatures). I bit the bullet and have hacked them down with a razor saw and am hoping to get them painted and squeezed into my printed tank in some hard to notice fashion in the near future.






6 comments:

  1. Nice work work! Very unusual force you have picked for WW2. I am intrigued by the selection of vehicles I see in the background; are they part of some sort of grand plan?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha. I was wondering if the background detritus would catch anyones eye. I do enjoy getting a view into other gamers hobby by what can be seen the background.

      There's not so much a grand plan as a print fun things. And looking to make more sci fi/modern vehicles to occupy an urban landscape for skirmish gaming.

      Certainly I'll need some future posts on 'wot i printed' and my general expedition into printing in general.

      Delete
    2. I look forward to your thoughts on your 3D printing projects. I regularly have a little debate with myself on whether or not I should buy a printer but I am intimidated by getting to grips with the design software and the like.

      Delete
    3. Are you wanting to actually design your own stuff? Or just print stuff that's out there?

      It's pretty simple to do pretty basic changes (Boolean cuts I think they are called), and some models are 'rigged' which lets you drag nodes around and they change posture. Design is definitely distinct from simply printing though....

      Delete
  2. For a printed effort that looks great mate! Romanians are a fun force to collect from what I’ve seen. Lots of cool nation-specific vehicles and like you say their earlier war German kit is nice. They also get access to the Soviet stuff for later war too, so you have all sorts of options to fill out your collection

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai! I don't know they have a lot of nation specific vehicles.....certainly the Hungarians have more stuff (like their own tank and self propelled AA!). Early war cast offs and home grown stuff is fun though. And 100% correct they get access to the German and Soviet gear via having their 'friends' with them.

      Delete