Friday, March 11, 2022

WW2 Romanians Great Escape Games (3) - Rifle Squads

The final wave of Romanians from my initial order. I still intend to add an artillery piece (printed but lacking crew) and maybe, MAYBE, some cavalry. That's really starting to stretch the project a bit far though.

Late war the Romanians coup their leadership and join the Soviets in the drive on the axis. In Bolt action they lose their free artillery piece and gain a free squad (if you have 3) of the cheapest version you have.  So I laid these guys out to have at least 4 squads. 

Standardized to 1 light machine gun, an SMG leader, a panzerfaust, (which would be lost in earlier phases of the war), and a bunch of rifles. As one would expect. The 4th squad I think lacks panzerfaust but has a big old anti tank mine being totted by the guy with bronze balls.

Turns out I can manage a 5th squad of 50% SMG. So either the project got overlarge, I've undersized my squads, or I just have some extra flexibility.  Hopefully I can find an opponent this year and get the traditional 'full painted and lose your first game' game in.







9 comments:

  1. That collection has come along nicely and quickly. Will they get a tank or two in the future, or strictly infantry?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah, the Romanians barely had antitank guns. Tanks were rare like hens teeth. I do have the self propelled antitank unit (r2) so I think I'm largely done. I just need one artillery piece and some gun crew.

      Delete
    2. Didn't the Soviets supply them with T-34/85's tho? Or were the numbers for those still low so they didn't feature often?

      Delete
    3. I don't know to be honest. Everything I read about the tank destroyers seems that the Soviets seized everything. I'd be surprised if they gave them tanks as opposed to having their infantry supported with 'allied' tank groups. Comrade Romanian, advance on the enemy and we will provide covering fire with our tanks. Retreat and we will change targets.

      Delete
  2. These all look very good Dave - you've been batch painting like a demon!

    For Bolt Action, Late War squads can feature up to 14 soldiers (NCO+13 troops). I don't know how this features into your plans for your list build. It's to represent Stalin's terrible treatment of the Romanian forces after they switched sides where he pretty much used them like a meatshield to his own Soviet troops. Casualties were awful for those poor sods as they were made to push back the German defensive lines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I played bolt action once...maybe. So I don't know what my list plans are either! It seems like a solid decision to make sure you can take your free stuff though. So 4 roughly equal squads for the soviet allied romanians seems like the baseline. Yah, I think being in the soviet armies was tough at the best of times. Having something to prove probably made it a whole lot worse.

      Delete
    2. I recalled these guys after I got an itch to start planning a Greek army and remembered that Great Escape Games makes some decent Greek infantry. Zooming in on your Romanians confirms that - nicely detailed with good proportions and bulky enough to stand out well on a table. Now I need to save up for those UK shipping costs....

      Delete
    3. The trick to ordering from the UK is to go big. Often the shipping is tiered to be (proportionally) less as you get more. Or, at least, you get to split the shipping over more minis. Find a friend (or more) to split an order! Proportionally charge shipping. There are so many ways to rationale throwing money at cool figs!

      Delete
  3. Great looking! I have done many 'only one side' build collections. You will find a 'solution'. Your
    ..." get the traditional 'full painted and lose your first game' game in. " comment brought a knowing smile to this old veteran of many such occasions!

    ReplyDelete