Sunday, January 1, 2023

New Years 2022/2023

 Happy New Year! To be honest it's a bit of a relief that 2022 has ended. Certainly a challenging year for many. 

 My productivity nose dived in the early fall (I'm astounded to discover I hadn't pulled pictures off my phone since mid August). I think there was a combo of working more than full time for a number of months, typical summer craziness with young children and then the start of kindergarten and the inevitable waves of plague that followed. 

I do have painted minis to show, and some game reports even (!), but those will have to follow in the near future. This is the New Years post. So, how did my resolutions go? Fortunately I had two (2) and they weren't ambitious!

Jump start a stalled project

Frostgrave received a bump as my buddy Garret started egging me on with texts showing his progress to being ready to play a game. We did, in fact, play 2 games in 2022!

Revisit the Trays of Shame and get some crud out of there

Prior to writing this post I thought I did far less well than I actually did. Hunting through the pictures from last new year post I made a sizeable dent in shameful tray items. It's possible there's a whole tray worth of stuff! 

I'll do a proper pictorial visit to this stuff later, but here's a quite glimpse at (the majority) of the painting progress this year.






With regards to the coming year I don't have solid plans. I'd like to introduce some more regularity into my life....so I'm pondering how to balance work, family, and hobbying. It'd be nice to have a solid target for frequency of blogging, gaming, and painting.....however "frequent" that ends up being. It's much easier to work towards targets than nebulous hand wavey things.

14 comments:

  1. Young children do make things difficult. I essentially put all my hobby activities on hold for ten years, so to get anything done such as you have achieved is quite a creditable effort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence. I have other friends who have exited the long tunnel of young children so I know it happens. It seems pretty long when you are in the thick of it though....

      Delete
  2. It looks like you have been productive Dave. I agree with Lawrence; having small children sucks up a lot of time and energy so don't be too hard on yourself if you feel like you are falling behind. Kindergarten is just a tease- once they are both in elementary school then it is a lot easier to find an hour or two here and there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agree with the two regions comments, although when my kids were pre school or primary aged, they were in bed by seven or so, and I had three solid hours I could paint if I chose to....but others may have alternative pulls on free time! I also used to work shift work and had quite a few games with my mate Julian where I would leave home at five thirty, have a game at his place from six till ten, then had to work for eleven pm start ( later, it was midnight to eight am, so had an extra hour available). So even in those days, I got quite a few games in, which helped keep me sane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very motivated! I do a bit of shift work from time to time and I usually just want to catch some Z's before I go to work and after the kids are asleep. Sleep>>gaming I suppose.....

      Delete
  4. I don’t understand what you meant by ‘tray’. What I do understand is trying to find that balance between life and hobby and the challenge of doing anything. My youngest is 2 and my oldest is 9. The demands never seem to stop.
    But it’ll work itself out. Just can’t compare yourself with anyone else.
    Happy new year. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of my minis and painting are stored (I won't say organized) into plastic or cardboard trays. I decided to take a picture of everything 'in progress' (cough cough) last new years. Not a heck of a lot of progress. Happy new year!

      Delete
  5. I'd say that was a productive year mate.

    Kids and work really do get in the way of hobby time for sure. But there's naps and early bedtimes, if you're not too tired from responsibility.

    Looking forward to whatever you show us this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai. I was pleasantly surprised by what I got done. Of course most of that happened pre summer, so I suppose the formula is hurry up and paint right now....

      Delete
  6. Don't feel too bad, my hobby efforts collapsed almost completely in 2022. What a stupid year. Are those Star Wars minis in the bottom picture? I think I see Rebel Infantry and Chewie and Luke? They look pretty I'd like to see some more pictures...

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are! Good eye. I'll try and take some photos of them soonish to showcase. The 'rebel infantry' are some close enough sculpts from GZG.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Weird! Your feed wasn't showing up for me, but now it is so I get to follow along. Seems like a pretty productive year to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strangeness! Sadly strangeness isn't so strange for blogger these days.

      Delete