Thursday, April 20, 2023

Typhoon paint racks

 I finally got sick and tired of all my paints being in a large plastic drawer......and then progressively spread out with different painting projects. While it was 'loosely' organized, I though it was time to do better. And also find the duplicate paints and ones I didn't need anymore.

I hunted a lot of racks and it largely came down to:

 1/. fit the space I had

 2/. Had a high number of paints per size (high density)

 3/. I could see the actual paint colours (some racks have the lids tipped to you which doesn't help much with dropper style). 

 

 

 Typhoon racks seemed my best bet so I pulled the trigger. I even fit (almost) all my paints on them. I'm pondering getting another rack though it's probably like storage space in most houses....if you have it then it will be filled up.

 

 

 

 

The racks were pretty simple to assemble. A bit snug in a couple of the slot/hole openings. They are quite light. The wood has a fair bit of spring to it...which worries me at times. I suspect MDF would be more robust but would probably store less do to the multiplier of increases the size of each level by 1-2mm.

It's definitely made it easier for me to hunt down similar colours in a family to choose what I want. 




 

6 comments:

  1. I like the cutouts for the paint pots and how tall the shelves are. Wish I had space for something like these. Nice find mate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sometimes forget my luxury of having some devoted space to leave my stuff set up. Certainly not the case before I moved. Nor, really, for quite some time after the move either.
      Before you look at them you don't really consider the ergonomics of various paint racks. It's quite surprising the variability.

      Delete
  2. Thanks Dave, that is a great review. I have been thinking of something like this for some time so good to steal someone else's research. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recommend buying an extra rack regardless of what you do. The shipping is usually the kicker, not a single rack. Good luck!

      Delete
  3. Cool. My paint rack is also some MDF construction (I forget from whom). It has holes for 95 paints which I thought was ample bc I don’t even like painting and I still had some paint bottles left over. 😀
    Sadly, many still sit on the desk while I’m in the misfit a project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yah, it's a bit surprising how many paints you end up with when you actually count them. Certainly I have a little pile of paints when I'm working on something specific.....but it's nice to have all the non active stuff racked. And easier to find variations on a given tone that I might not use if it was less visible.

      Delete