In May I had my friend Bryan ferry across the Georgia Strait to visit me
in Nanaimo. He was a foot passenger and brought over a few mecha, and a
rule set he'd been tinkering with. It is very much focused on being a
convention set (and/or run on the monthly Bonsor Game club nights)...so 2
hours, simple rules, multiple players, get results quickly.
Inspiration wise he looked to Kaiju movies with giant stompy robots that kick the snot out of each other. Shooting was intentionally made very weak. Grabbing and throwing the enemy is good. Rule of cool is the highest principle. You want to climb a building and jump kick, lets figure out how that works.
It was very early draft, so lots of material was tossed out, as we looked to establish a solid foundation before we added too many bells and whistles. Bryan wasn't convinced of my idea to have destructable terrain, but I thought it was amazing to level a town due to throwing your enemies through it. I thought it worked pretty well. While the combatants were probably a bit brittle, it was really easy to get taken out, and then grab another mech and charge in off the table edge to work on a grudge kill.
A mutual friend came by later in the evening and we drank beer and played another round. It was good to get another set of views and opinions on the play and see how easy it was for a new comer to pick up the rules and play effectively. I'm not sure when I'll have another go at playing but it was definitely a fun game for an evening.


No comments:
Post a Comment