Wednesday, July 29, 2026

Close Quarter Battle AAR Intro Mission: Assassinate

While Brian was visiting in May, I broke out my copy of Close Quarter Battle, The war on drugs. The publisher is Strategies Games Labs (based out of Strategies Hobbies in Vancouver BC), and written by Darren, who tends to run the game at Trumpeter Salute. 2025 I played it (at a recommendation from my friends) and really enjoyed it, and bought a starter set. This year I've actually made some good progress painting stuff up, so was able to host a game. My friends argue that the game should be called something different, like '80s action hero' as that is more the vibe, and I kinda agree. Regardless of the name, it's a fun system, and is well received at the convention. 

 

The system runs around 3 levels of training (green, trained, operative) which guides targets for skill checks, but also the number of actions you get a turn (1, 2, 3). Also, the number of hits you take as suppression before you actually get injured (1,2,3). Operatives are REALLY good. Green troops (raw recruits, gang bangers, etc) are barely speed bumps. The essential tension in the missions is rarely about whether the operatives are going to win, but whether they can do it IN TIME. Tight mission time lines and ambitious optional objectives often is what makes the game really compelling (in my few play throughs). 

The intro mission has 2 operatives attempting to assassination a local drug dealer notable/lieutenant. There are a bunch of green troops, so it's actually a really challenging mission for the dealers side....unless they can drag out the game. The second time we played through one of the operatives moved a bit too aggressively to get the shot on a hunkered down target (hiding on the roof) and was killed by defensive fire. With only one operative on the table the target made a run for it [straight away from the remaining operative], with appropriate futile/suicidal cover from his mooks. Sure enough, the timer was run down and the dealer managed to eke out a win. 

 

 

I've got pictures of the two games I played at the convention (2025, 2026) and the tables look great. I'll try and dig them out and post them up. 


 Having gaming visitors was fun, as it force me to pull out what I had from the Dave cave in order to host a game and have terrain on the table. I was able to hand terrain off to the other nerds while I was digging in boxes, so the tables ended up set up in a way I wouldn't have chosen myself. Win win. 






 

No comments:

Post a Comment