Wednesday, August 26, 2026

FOG: Carthage vs Rome, annual game 2025

More pictures from the past that haven't hit my blog yet. This is from a field of glory game in 2025. It seems FOG picks up in the summer when Nate is on break from teaching. Of course, the 'honey-do' list gets long and childcare and vacations complicates everything. I played a game of FOG in 2026, but managed to only take 2 pictures, so not worth a post. 

 

 

 

 This game I was playing against Chris who is definitely remembering how to play and can put up a decent plan. I feel like I'm constantly on the back foot using Carthage vs Rome. I'm not sure if it's historical, or a function of the point value we play at (lower than normal), or composition of the troops we have, or what (definitely unrelated to my skill level). 

 

 

 

 

 Notable in this game I learned to not have my elephants race off versus light skirmishers. Slinger in this case. It reminded me of being told about how in DBA/DBX slingers vs elephants see no results 5 of of 6 turns, and then 1 in 6 you lose your elephants. Don't do it. This is precisely what happened in this game. 

 

 

 

 I, typically, ended up with my cavalry charging in and bouncing off against walls of well ordered infantry, who crept forward. The end game was my infantry core being ground down and cracking vs the (seemingly) endless small units. After this game I think I went for larger blocks of spearmen to avoid the penalties of losses kicking in after a single base was lost. 

 

 

 

 

 I'm currently in the process of painting another army (Syracuse) so I can try something different. Although honestly, they are mostly hoplites (offensive spear), so not that different. 

It will give me an option for hosting a game myself when Nate isn't around (who has 3-4 different armies).  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 







No comments:

Post a Comment