Wednesday, August 12, 2026

Trumpeter Salute 2025 - Close Quarter Battle AAR (VIP extraction BARRIO)

 In the continuing theme of close quarter battle, I decided to post some long overdue photos. Trumpeter Salute happens in April in Burnaby (part of Greater Vancouver, BC, Canada). This was the first time I played CQB, and was encouraged by my friends to play it if I had a chance as Darren (the writer) puts on a good game. 

 

This will be fairly description light as it's been 16months since I played the game. Darrens tables are good for eye candy photographs though. The buildings are 3dprinted from corvus (I think) and were (possibly) a gift of some sort to Darren. The graffiti  does SO MUCH for the terrain and I loves it. I sent my brother some photos as we was really into graffiti art when he was younger. 

More after the jump.... 

 

 The mission setup is that the agents are escorting the US ambassador to meet with the local cartel representative who has agreed to turn over evidence for the cartels activities. The meeting is deep within a cartel controlled Barrio with associated security issues. Minutes after arriving a cartel sicario makes an attempt on the life of the turncoat. The mission parameters change....extract the VIP and turncoat safely. 

 

 

 

 

Players start in the bottom left of the map and, if memory serves, the game starts with 3 cartel (trainedx2, vetx1) in the room ready to start killing if the agents don't act quickly. As always with CQB doors can be picked, vehicles hot wired, and, generally speaking, the agents are hollywood heroes.  

 

 

 

The barrio is filled with cartel members (mix of green and trained) and civilians. The civilians are trivial to take out but I think it used actions and may have had negative consequences. Cartel members could encourage the civilians to form mobs which blocked/complicated movement and sight lines (possibility to hit innocents when firing through them). They could also construct makeshift barricades (tire fires,etc)  Cartel members on the roofs definitely stressed us out as the VIPs were pretty soft targets. 

 

 

We managed to quickly hotwire a car and bundle the VIPs into it with an agent and his lackey (rookie was a skill you could take which would give you a less skilled helper. My rookie ended up being stellar riding shotgun and shooting accurately and 100% was promoted to full agent at the end).  

 

 

 

The other 2 agents were both roof hopping and getting tied up in firefights. Walking around corners was dangerous as overwatch was a thing, but also the volume of cartel members lurking meant it was hard to take down everyone before receiving return fire. Their actions, however, helped pin down a lot of the pursuit vs the car.  

 

 

 

The funniest/most tasteless part of the game happened when I "needed" to crash the car through a homeless encampment.  I remember reading an article that was pretty down on a similar scene in the movie bad boys 2. Cool for cinema but pretty shitty move. Agents don't win by being nice though!

 

 

 

 

 

Karmically I was definitely racking up a deficit here, and the dice delivered. Every barrier of significance can damage the car, which can result in a WIDE range of outcomes. Hollywood style this include brewing up spectacularly when you hit a chainlink fence. 


The car's engine was kaput, so the 2 VIPs, agent and rookie bailed out, and needed to hoof it off the map. This gave the other agents time, and gunfire cover, to catch up and exit as well. A couple of wounded agents, but other mission fully completed. 











No comments:

Post a Comment