Wednesday, February 2, 2022

3d printing nerd gifts (4) - finished products

Doug works fast. The package arrived 8 days ago and he's already finished his tanks. I hope that he will forgive me in 'stealing' his pictures he sent me for a post. It's nice to have some continuity and see the final product in this series. I can't do better but heavily quote from the email. 


"Before I forget again, thanks for the support removal.  I was quite prepared to do that (had picked up some others in the past so knew what to expect).  it is a pain to do.


The StuG had a barrel replacement as the ink tube was a perfect fit.  I took your advise and coated the Valentine's with runny super-glue with a few coats and it did smooth out a bit. 
 
The miscast boogie wheel on the Valetine is not an issue as you can see I covered the track area with lots (and lots!) of snow - it is a Lend-Lease arriving on the Moscow front just at the end of 1941. This ‘evens-out’ my collection which now can accommodate 3 a side.
 
The StuG is to fight my t34-85 during the summer of 1943 also in Russia for some one-on-one action.   The side armor are plastic pieces which match perfectly with your print - your scaling is perfect!"
 
 
 
I will concur with Doug, removing supports is a bit of a pain. Certainly some are worse than others. Gotta say these look great, as does pretty much everything Doug ends up producing. 
Head over and take a look at his blog Dots of Paint for more.

4 comments:

  1. He's done great work. The adding of snow to the Valentine looks great with the added bonus of covering up the damaged wheel. Your prints look great all painted up.Dave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels a bit hard to take credit for much. The stl designer did a great job, and Doug has done some fine painting and weathering (snowing?). I'm hardly even a middle man!

      Delete
  2. Those snow effects are really good and he painted up the tanks very nicely.

    Am surprised the barrels are so thin it being a print. What ive seen out there otherwise always show barrels that are far too fat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The StuG is a replaced barrel, but you are right with the valentine having a pretty thin barrel. That probably helps explain why it was a bit cruddy quality.

      Delete