Sunday, January 30, 2022

3d printing nerd gifts (3) - Tank Bodies

 Part three on my gift post is pretty brief as we've looked at slicers and supports. Now we just see something a bit larger and more complicated printed out. I attempted to place some supports within the track segments so EVERY SINGLE WHEEL wouldn't suck from overhangs. Unfortunately the support didn't work well (too narrow I think....I used a plugin for manually placing rods). This unfortunately meant there was some extra spaghetti around the tanks, but thankfully tank tracks are easy to weather to cover up the crappy printed bits. 


Most of this post is pictures with little of my usual long winded commentary. Strangely I omitted taking pictures of the StuG, but perhaps I figured it's just more of the same. Enjoy.

Ah yes, the 16hour print. I run my print jobs at a slow speed and thin layers to improve quality and avoid knocking them off the build plate. I've sorta had issues so this is a 'once burned, twice shy' thing. 


Picture showing the supports around the tracks. Note the spaghetti of the failed support, as well as the generally poor quality of the road wheels on the lower side.










Supports seen in situ before removal (to the right)
Left - post removal you can see there is some minimal artifacts which should be pretty easy to clean up.
Quite clearly you can see the failed road wheel print which was unsupported. This illustrates quite nicely how it's not too bad when there is something nearby, but a big air gap will result in missing structure.
VRoom Vroom! The valentine looks like a zippy tank. I was never interested in one before, but printing one I was tempted just to fire another off. Thankfully I held off as I do not need more projects right now.








2 comments:

  1. That’s a good looking tank and a decent print. Fun following this process

    ReplyDelete