Saturday, January 8, 2022

2022 Trays of shame (1)

In the spirit of attending to my trays of shame, mentioned in numerous years of resolutions, I'm going to take stock of what I have. Due to the crappy blogger editor I've already written this once....so it will be more abbreviated this time.

Generally speaking I favour painting what you are feeling. It's a heck of a lot easier to make progress with painting joy rather than a slog or simply staring at your colours hemming and hawing (or having to repaint things! Arg!). 

I hope to be publicly shamed if I don't actually make progress on some of this stuff this year. Better, I hope to have some awesome before and after pics of what I've actually done. 

It's always fun to see what you can spot in the background of peoples photos....in this case, the fun stuff should be in the actual focus of the photos. 


First up, the true 'trays'. 15mm kickstarter ghosts of hefei fabricants and investigators. Infinity computer consoles. GW garden of morr statue. Fenris models fish fountain. GZG androids and field gun. 15mm uk adventurers (I think this is the second set I have, the first actually being painted).




Ion age retained knights. GZG grav cycles with head swaps for retained knights. 'Prang' as orc nob proxies. Some manufacturer I forget the name of on the right. I got a drop ship from them and ended up with some bonus figs in the kickstarter. (Surprise....unpainted).






Ion age 'adder' hovercraft. Old crow car. Ramshackle ore bins and equipment cases as scatter terrain (I have a heap of these).







Microart studios shanty huts. Hoping to use with cowboys I wanted aged wood. The test inking didn't work so well......so I got stymied and stopped for the time being.








GW orces. chainmail orc shaman & sergeant. Ramshackle dungers. bones pathfinder goblins. A rare instance of using contrast paints. This is meant to be for frostgrave and/or general fantasy.












9 comments:

  1. That is a lot of variety; lots of different stuff to keep you interested which is good.
    "I hope to be publicly shamed if I don't actually make progress on some of this stuff this year."
    Noted...😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good to have 'friends' =P
      Variety is a bit of a curse.......imagine if all my painting had been focused on less...I might be done something!

      Delete
  2. Lots of interesting projects coming up, which is good. Looking forward the most to the Space Orks!

    And like Codsticker, happy to throw shame your way of you fail….. us. ;P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Accountability really helps drive performance. I feel like I should try and organize a tray of shame challenge some point. I'd be really intrigued to see what other peoples stock of abandoned projects looks like.
      I'll try and keep some space orcs in mind for the queue...

      Delete
    2. Funnily I just put together some mdf hobby trays to better organise what's in the "hobby cupboard", so if you do, I'll be down to join I think!

      Delete
    3. What do you think we need for the challenge? A whole other blog like I did for the 6 month painting reduction challenge? Or just a simple post? Status updates shared by people who sign up? Limited spots?

      Delete
  3. “Painting what you feel like” is chaotic to some in project terms but otherwise to me very wise practice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do agree with this. This a hobby, something we do for R&R; it should NOT be a chore. That being said, having a deadline or a set goal is useful if you really want to get something done, and when you meet either it is very satisfying.

      Delete
    2. Mark, thanks for dropping a comment on the blog. I agree, it's both a mix of the chaotic AND wise practice. I'm currently a bit amused by the weird collection of things I have in my trays of shame.

      Delete