Wednesday, August 8, 2018

15mm XCOM - Sectopod (Heavy Gear Naga)

Another contribution to the XCOM project. I feel like this is the 'avatar project' in that it veeerrrrryyyy slowly makes progress....and then is knocked back a few steps. The model has been sitting in my boxes for far too long (do we detect a theme here?) so I'm pretty chuffed it's finally painted.




The sectopod is a tough enemy in the video game, being a walking tank. It uses some faster firing weapons, but can power up for a big area of effect devastating attack. I find it a bit more tough than dangerous....I suppose this would be true for a tank vs infantry.
 






There doesn't seem to be a ton of two legged figs with boxy hulls. The naga sorted 'clicked' for me to represent the sectopod, though the more I look the more it misses the mark. Don't look too hard I guess. It certainly didn't hurt that I already had the fig.




Here we can see an 'advent squad leader' for scale purposes. He's a 15mm titan marine from rebel minis.  I'm most disappointed about the large area of grey on the centre canopy. As sculpted this would be where the pilots look out so would probably rock some coloured canopy glass. The sectopod is totally robotic so it's unneccessary....the result is an overly large uninteresting grey mass. Not too sure what to do about it (if anything).



3 comments:

  1. Very nicely done. I wouldn't worry about the lack of features on the front hull. I think your highlights and the red accent break it up and make it visually interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always good to have a second opinion (especially a positive one!). Thanks Major.

      Delete
  2. did trying to find the start of your xcom adventures what shop or name of the models?

    ReplyDelete