The second week of my participation in the Caffeineforge roundup. This week the fig was the Battle Golem. I decided I wanted this guy to look very distressed. He very much appears to be a made of metal, so metallics would obviously feature prominently. I started with a mix of bronze and what would be iron. The sword (after soliciting opinions in the house) was a bright blue/white. I had hoped for more pop/shiny/gloss on the sword (meant to be totally un-distressed)....but close enough.
I toned the bronze down with some vallejo smoke, which has a nice effect to darken and grubby things up. After that I highlighted back up with the bronze (quite noticeable on the shoulder), and honed steel on the iron areas.
Then I got to work. I tried to do a verdigris effect, which I thought turned out fairly well. It's a bit harrowing at time how BLUE everything is getting. After hitting it with some smoke again, it calmed down.....perhaps too much.
The rust is a fantastic rust effect paint I have and love to use....simply paint and go. I think it's alcohol based, as it dries quickly and rustifies as it dries.
I'm very pleased with this 'old warrior'.