Wednesday, February 18, 2015

6MMRPC: Week 24.5 Battle Golem Bones

The second week of my participation in the Caffeineforge roundup. This week the fig was the Battle Golem. I decided I wanted this guy to look very distressed. He very much appears to be a made of metal, so metallics would obviously feature prominently. I started with a mix of bronze and what would be iron. The sword (after soliciting opinions in the house) was a bright blue/white. I had hoped for more pop/shiny/gloss on the sword (meant to be totally un-distressed)....but close enough.

I toned the bronze down with some vallejo smoke, which has a nice effect to darken and grubby things up. After that I highlighted back up with the bronze (quite noticeable on the shoulder), and honed steel on the iron areas.

Then I got to work. I tried to do a verdigris effect, which I thought turned out fairly well. It's a bit harrowing at time how BLUE everything is getting. After hitting it with some smoke again, it calmed down.....perhaps too much.

The rust is a fantastic rust effect paint I have and love to use....simply paint and go. I think it's alcohol based, as it dries quickly and rustifies as it dries.

I'm very pleased with this 'old warrior'.


4 comments:

  1. And you should be pleased cos he looks just fine. well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! What's this "rust effect paint" then?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad that you asked! Actually, I was wondering if I should include the link or not.
      http://miniatureinsurrection.blogspot.ca/2013/02/rust-effects-finds-more-converts.html
      That (above) has a link to where I found the writeup originally.

      This next link shows my use of it on some metal fittings on a broken town stone tower (click on the pics of the top floor and the iron gate to see better).
      http://miniatureinsurrection.blogspot.ca/2013/02/blightstone-keep-wheel-of-magic-and.html

      Delete